E-sata hotplug

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Tue May 19 05:38:38 UTC 2009

After a little reading (thanks for the link), I decided that it was safe
to hot-plug my e-sata disk. So, I did. And what happened? A big nothing.

I've got a WD e-sata disk connected to an Intel ICH7 controller, using
the AHCI driver. If I boot with drive powered up, it comes up as device
"sda". If I hot-plug it, the device doesn't get created.

I think I need to kick udev into action, but I don't know the incantation.

If you're successfully hot-plugging an e-sata disk, can you share some tips.

Thanks,

John