mounting encrypted linux partition on windows

Damián Rodrí­guez Sánchez damian.sanchez at itautec.com
Wed May 20 13:06:04 UTC 2009

I recently decided to encrypt the / Linux partition (ext3) on my
dual boot PC (Windows Vista - Fedora 10).

I used to mount it with "Ext2 Installable File System for Windows"
(http://www.fs-driver.org) when using Windows, but now that the
partition is encrypted, its contents (obviously) appear unreadable
and I'm offered to format it.

I was told that software like FreeOTFE and TrueCrypt should let me
mount the encrypted partition under Windows if I have the ext3 driver,
but it didn't work for me. Will I necessarily have to create a new
encrypted volume with one of those programs and then reinstall Fedora
(or Windows) in it instead of simply mounting the existing encrypted
partition?