I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ... (Gene Heskett)

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun May 31 01:34:58 UTC 2009

From: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
Sent: Saturday, 2009/May/30 17:09

> On Saturday 30 May 2009, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
>>2009/5/30 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>:
>>> Why can't all of this audio crap have a 'service audio restart'?
>>> function?
>>
>>Probably because there isn't a system-wide audio service. The
>>pulseaudio server usually runs in the user's desktop session.
>>
> Ok, so I add or remove a line in one of the /etc/pulse files.  What do I
> have
> to kill and restart to make it re-read those config files and put the
> effect
> into service?  Is a restart of X sufficient?
>
> Right now, the only thing working is the kde sound effects.  Any other
> source,
> like a new video with sound, is pure white noise at 120 db above the kde
> sound
> effects.  Since I like to tour the news sites of an evening, I'll remove
> what
> I installed and reboot in about an hour if no helpful advice seems to be
> forthcoming.
>
> Also, I tried to join the pulse mailing list, but FF had a whole cow over
> the
> https certificate, and I have never seen such a strong warning from FF
> before
> so I didn't ok it.  Could someone advise Lennert that his sites ssh
> certificate is dead or compromised?
>
> Thanks Joonas.
>
>>--
>>Joonas Sarajärvi
>>muepsj at gmail.com
>

> --
> Cheers, Gene

You'd think if Linux and Fedora were so hot and wonderful there would be a
system wide audio service that actually worked from consoles as well as
from X. I need both to work to make my setup function correctly. So I am
stuck, crippled. That does not seem to be a problem in Windows with
multiple sessions as with Windows Server editions.

{^_^}