Impossible to access boot menu

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Nov 2 00:41:40 UTC 2009

Marcel Rieux wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Mikkel <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>> Marcel Rieux wrote:
>>> Oh, oh! I had a USB keyboard when I installed but I now have a
>>> keyboard with a round plug. So, I tried to enable legacy support as
>>> Mikkel suggested, but I can't access the BIOS.
>>>
>> You do not need legacy support for the PS2 keyboard. (The round
>> plug.) Legacy support makes a USB keyboard look like a PS2 keyboard
>> to the system. The fact that you had a USB keyboard when you
>> installed should not make a difference.
>
> Wikipedia seems to think it's the other way around:
>
> Legacy support
>
> The term legacy support is often used with reference to obsolete or
> legacy computer hardware, whether peripherals or core components.
> Operating systems with "legacy support" can detect and use legacy
> hardware.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_system#Legacy_support
>
> Anyways, I have to get a new keyboard.

BIOS USB legacy support is a bit different. It is using the BIOS to
support legacy programs that expect a PS/2 keyboard/mouse when you
have a USB keyboard/mouse. You do not need it when you are using a
PS/2 keyboard and mouse. A serial mouse is a completely different
story, but not too many people have them... :)

Mikkel