Gnome applications and .bash_profile

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:28:40 UTC 2009

Hi Steven,

On Sunday 01 November 2009 09:32 PM, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> On 10/31/09 03:39, quoth Jonathan Ryshpan:
>
> IT IS WRONG to set environment variables in your .bashrc unless you really
> know what you're doing. Most people don't. IT IS WRONG to have to run a
> terminal emulator program with the idea that it should be a login shell. ALL
> PROGRAMS use the environment, not just terminal emulators. If you log in then
> your environment should be defined.

What is your comment on the method I posted, have your .bash_profile
source your .bashrc ? That way you have a consistent environment every
time, irrespective of whether I am at an xterm or VT or simply running
some GUI app from a menu or icon. (I am of course assuming my desktop
environment sources my .bash_profile, as it should, when I login :) )

Would you say that is a proper way to do things?

--
Suvayu