Impossible to access boot menu

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 16:29:19 UTC 2009

Aioanei Rares <schaiba <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Please explain what do you mean by 'different effect' and how is the hw
> reset by rebooting vs cold boot

OK - when I first came across this problem - it was when I shutdown the machine
i.e. to the point where the machine was powered off.

a) then if I pushed the power button on the computer to boot it, then nothing
I did would allow the mouse input to be recognised
both at the kdm greeter, and if I then used keyboard input alone to log in,
then also in the logged in gnome desktop the mouse was not recognised.

b) However, if I then pulled out the usb plug for the mouse sender, and plugged
it back in then the mouse input was recognised properly.

c) If at that point I selected reboot from the logged in desktop, then after
rebooting, the mouse would be recognised at both the kdm greeter screen and
also at the logged in desktop. This reboot keeps the power on and the fans
running during the shutdown and subsequent reboot.

If at that point I shutdown and powered off.  Then pushed the power button to
start the machine then I would be back to a) above