"shutdown now" on F11 as root problems and app crashes in

KC8LDO kc8ldo at arrl.net
Mon Nov 2 17:50:00 UTC 2009

Bob;

I did go back and read it, should have done that first. I did read that one
of the options the action taken is system dependent, the "-h" option.  That
makes things more interesting.

I'm sitting here at work, eating lunch, reading the man page, again, for the
shutdown command using a remote VNC session to my F10 box at home. I don't
see anything that mentions any sort of default action if you fail to supply
one of the options to the shutdown command. All it says in general at the
end of the man page is :

"When invoked it generates a runlevel event, with an argument containing the
new runlevel."

I'll have to look specifically at the one, man page, on the F11 box later
when I get home. Your comment suggests they are not the same.

One last comment. If I was not by the local attached console and saw what
happened, but was working remotely when I issued the "shutdown now" command,
having the system drop down to a CLI interface, single user mode, with the
root prompt showing isn't very comforting. Also my remote VNC session
terminated too. Not my idea of a way to lose control of the box and give
somebody else the chance to have some fun at the "free" root prompt either.
Lucky for me this box is on my home network where I'm the only one with
physical access.

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO