[SOLVED]should I go for 64bit version of Fedora 11 ?

Jatin K ssh.fedora at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 12:16:27 UTC 2009

On 11/03/2009 03:58 PM, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> On 11/03/2009 12:15 PM, Jatin K wrote:

> My thinking is it's not safe to decide on what you've heard. Flash
> works like a charm on all my 64-bit systems; and what is that "other
> software" are you referring to? 64-bit Linux has also 32-bit libs if
> needed.

Ok , I have find this [a] by googling

[a]
---------------------------

For 64-bit Ubuntu, finding the proper 32-bit support packages is a
simple matter of opening up the Synaptic Package Manager, and searching
for the string “ia32”. With 64-bit openSuSE, 32-bit support is already
built-in, so you don’t have to do anything. With Fedora, though, it’s a
whole different story. Not only are the 32-bit packages not already
installed, the Fedora folk don’t provide any documentation on how to
install them. The directions I found via Google were outdated, and
wouldn’t work. I finally resolved the problem by asking a Red Hat
employee in my local Linux Users Group.

*Add an “rpm” Macro*

This isn’t an absolute necessity, but it’s handy. Add the following line
to the “/etc/rpm/macros” file:

%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

Now, when you query for information about rpm packages, you’ll be able
to see whether they’re 32-bit or 64-bit packages.

sudo rpm -q SDL
SDL-1.2.13-9.fc11.x86_64

*Add the Libraries*

Next, add the 32-bit libraries by copying the following list, and
pasting it into a text file. Save it as “Fedora-ia32.txt”.

arts.i586
audiofile.i586
bzip2-libs.i586
cairo.i586
compat-expat1-1.95.8-4.i586
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-63.i586
compiz.i586
cyrus-sasl-lib.i586
dbus-libs.i586
directfb.i586
esound-libs.i586
fltk.i586
freeglut.i586
gphoto2.i586
gtk2.i586
hal-libs.i586
imlib.i586
jack-audio-connection-kit.1.i586
java.i586
lcms-libs.i586
lesstif.i586
libacl.i586
libaio-0.3.106-4.2.i586
libao.i586
libattr.i586
libcap.i586
libdrm.i586
libexif.i586
libgcrypt-1.4.0-3.i586
libgnomecanvas.i586
libICE.i586
libieee1284.i586
libsigc++20.i586
libSM.i586
libtool-ltdl.i586
libusb.i586
libwmf.i586
libwmf-lite.i586
libX11.i586
libXau.i586
libXaw.i586
libXcomposite.i586
libXdamage.i586
libXdmcp.i586
libXext.i586
libXfixes.i586
libxkbfile.i586
libxml2.i586
libXmu.i586
libXp.i586
libXpm.i586
libXScrnSaver.i586
libxslt.i586
libXt.i586
libXTrap.i586
libXtst.i586
libXv.i586
libXxf86vm.i586
lzo.i586
mesa-libGL.i586
mesa-libGLU.i586
nas-libs.i586
nss_ldap.i586
opencdk.i586
openldap.i586
pam.i586
popt.i586
pulseaudio-libs.i586
sane-backends-libs-gphoto2.i586
sane-backends-libs.i586
SDL.i586
svgalib.i586
unixODBC.i586
zlib.i586

Finally, “su” to a root shell, and run the following command:

# for i in $(< Fedora-ia32.txt ); do yum -y install $i; done

When the process completes, you can verify that you have both 32-bit and
64-bit packages installed.

sudo rpm -q SDL
SDL-1.2.13-9.fc11.x86_64
SDL-1.2.13-9.fc11.i586

*A Caveat*

By having to use the entire package name, all the way up through the
arch designation, we open ourselves up to a slight problem. That is,
package version numbers are also part of the package names. So, by the
time you read this, the script may have been partially broken due to
Fedora packages having been updated to newer versions. Here’s the way
around that.

Go ahead and do the procedure as written. Then, as root, run the
following command:

for i in $(< Fedora-ia32.txt ); do rpm -q >> rpm_results.txt $i; done

If package versions have changed, you’ll see a “not installed” error
message for it in the output file. Then, you can open Yum Extender, and
search for the update version to install.
*Conclusion*

The reason that the directions that I found via Google didn’t work, is
that the package list referenced the “i386” packages that were part of
Fedora 10. With Fedora 11, the “i386” packages have been replaced by
“i586” packages

--
   °v°
  /(_)\