should I go for 64bit version of Fedora 11 ?

Paul jpb at entel.ca
Tue Nov 3 19:29:22 UTC 2009

Aioanei Rares wrote:
> On 11/03/2009 09:38 AM, Jatin K wrote:
>> Dear all
>>
>> I've purchased a new Dell laptop Vostro 1520, major configuration[1]
>> , My question is should I go for FC 11 64bit version ? is there any
>> significant benefit  if I use 64bit version ?
>>

>> [1]
>> Model :-         Dell Vostro 1520 P-series
>>
>> Processor:-    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 P8700 1066Mhz FSB ( Intel VT
>> enabled )
>>
>> RAM :-           3GB DDR2 800Mhz
>>
>> Graphics :-    Mobile Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X4500M
> Yes, you should go for 64-bit if your hardware supports it, because
> only a 64-bit kernel will use that hardware at its full capacities.
> Google is your friend.

It will not make all that much of a difference on a laptop with 3GB of
RAM. The real questioin these days is "why should I not run 64-bit?"
according to this ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=368607 )
article which is a very good treatise on 32/64-bit. Some software is
simply not supported on 64-bit, and takes a lot of work to get functioning.

Having only 3GB of RAM, you do not *need* 64-bit, and you will not
benefit from the larger addressable space. I would go 32-bit with that
particular computer, but that is only a personal preference. I use
32-bit operating systems (Linux and Windows 7) on my laptop and 64-bit
on my tower, simply because the laptop only has 4GB (3372MB usable but
not a big deal to me) and the tower has 8GB (and runs 3D rendering
software frequently).

Cheers,

--

Paul