Dual booting Fedora and Win7

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Nov 3 23:41:40 UTC 2009

I'm putting Win7 on a machine for testing on a project, on bare iron instead of
a VM. Since I hate to waste a machine for 60-90 minutes a week of test, I want
to mix with Fedora. I asked a month or so ago, and got some thoughts about
adding Win7 to an existing Fedora machine, from people who hadn't done it (Win7
wasn't out yet).

After a slew of install issues, a clean install was done and the Win7 worked.
Now to boot Fedora using the "Windows boot manager." No, that doesn't work,
checked that the grub-install had been in the OS partition rather than the MBR,
still no boot.

Reinstall Fedora, still doesn't boot from WBM.

Run grub-install into MBR, boot into Fedora, add chain load to grub.conf,
reboot. Win7 is in the boot menu, but say "unknown executable" instead of
booting. Reinstall Win7 again, run project required tests.

Hopefully at some time will be able to put Win7 in grub menu.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>