Evince "home directory"

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Nov 4 05:26:45 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 14:33 +1030, Tim wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 08:02 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>
>>> And, to boot, someone also thought is was a good idea to name files
>>> with uppercase names in an O/S that is case sensitive.  :-(
>>>
>> Yeah!  :-\
>>
>> I'm getting a bit sick of this following the worst examples set (by
>> Microsoft).  We even see moronically stupid Windows-like advice about
>> sticking all your files inside a documents directory, then sub-dividing
>> that into other things (documents/downloads, documents/music, etc.).
>> Geez, "documents" is not a substitute for data, or simply files.  If
>> it's not a "document" it's NOT a bloody document.
>>
> ----
> Considering that knowledgeable users will be able to set things up as
> they choose then the consideration for the less knowledgeable users or
> those moving from the other OS's can find things more easily or possibly
> back up their needed files this hardly seems to be something to get all
> worked up about. When programs look for documents in the same consistent
> folder or want to save documents in the same consistent folder it's hard
> to argue with the logic of this.

Yes, I suppose it makes perfect sense for Gimp to use the settings in
~/.confg/user-dirs.dirs that contains:

XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Music"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures"

and by default go to the "$HOME/Documents" directory.

And since XDG seems as if it may becoming the method to define
"preferred" locations and since "less knowledgeable" users are prone to
defaulting to GUIs it is a good thing that there is a "settings" menu
item called something like "Preferred Locations" which brings up a GUI
that guides you through changing the settings contained in
~/.confg/user-dirs.dirs.

--
Wormwood : Calvin, how about you? Calvin : Hard to say ma'am. I think my
cerebellum just fused. Guess Who! http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7