Evince "home directory"

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Wed Nov 4 09:34:37 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 21:16 +0100, Roberto Ragusa wrote:

>> I would really like that the save-as file selector would
>> _not_ open on the "obvious" places, but open in the current directory
>> (you know, it's called current for a reason).
>
> I couldn't agree more. I find this behaviour maddening. I imagine it's
> because when started from the GUI the concept of current directory is
> vague at best, but when starting from the Shell they definitely should
> take note of it.

The GUI should acquire the cwd concept.
Having the application launcher in the file explorer window instead of
near the taskbar would be a good start ("I'm starting this app to work here").

Another idea could be to have a really quick "bookmark" feature on file
explorer windows and then show them in file requesters for easy choice.
Having it sort and/or colored by age/use would be perfect (like kate does
on filenames when you have many documents open).

> It's also infuriating that every time I need to store a file using one
> of the standard file dialogues, e.g. from Firefox, I have to navigate to
> the right place *every time*. Even within the same session of the app,
> there's no short-term memory of the last place I stored a file.

How can one be surprised that many people save everything on the Desktop?

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it