should I go for 64bit version of Fedora 11 ?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 4 11:14:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 03:58 +1100, Roger wrote:
> Were I in your position I would opt for 32 bit install the software
> and just 'use' the computer.  In truth you probably will install 64
> bit and all the discussion is merely opinions.

My laptop supposedly supports 64 bit computing, but I installed 32 bit
software, seeing as (at the time) people were stating all sorts of
issues with using 64 bits for some of the things that I was already
doing on 32 bits, without any troubles.  For example, getting Flash to
work on websites, or using sound (I seem to recall an issue with some
sound cards, and 64 bits).

Given some time for experimentation, and a new computer (i.e. one
without anything I needed to keep on it), I'd be tempted to do a 64 bit
install, and see how it worked with the things that I wanted to do.
Then, it'd be an easy case to wipe off and install 32 bit software, if
it was a dismal failure, or just keep on using 64 bit software if I
couldn't see a problem with it.

Having a fresh computer is an ideal time to try it both ways, and decide
for yourself, based on your own needs and experiences.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.