[OT] run command via ssh - problem

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Wed Nov 4 14:29:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 13:32 +0000, Dan Track wrote:
> Hi Bryn,
>
> Many thanks. I tried hostname -s but I keep getting the following:
>
> hostname: Host name lookup failure

Possibly your resolver on the servers is not configured to search its
own local domain. Add a line like this to /etc/resolv.conf:

search mylocaldomain.com

Or, if you configure the resolver via dhcp add a directive on the server
to pass this over to clients.

> This may be because the hostname's are short already e.g just
> "server1" instead of "server1.example.com"
>
> I've updated teh script to your recommendations but I still get the
> local hosts hostname in teh output instead of the remote servers
> hostname. Any other thoughts?
>
> I now run the following:
>
> for i in server1 server2;do ssh root@$i "DNSNAME=$(basename
> $(hostname)$);echo $DNSNAME";done

You need to use single quotes instead of double quotes - see the rules
in the bash man page about quote expansion. A single quoted string is
not subject to any expansion by the shell on the client machine but a
double quoted string will be expanded on the client before the ssh
command is executed.

$ ssh abox 'DNSNAME=$(basename $(hostname));echo $DNSNAME'
abox.example.com

I still don't think that basename will do what you want here...

Regards,
Bryn.