Fedora 11 x86_64, ATI HD4870, and RPM Fusion's Catalyst Drivers...

Raymond C. Rodgers sinful622 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 14:31:45 UTC 2009

Up until this past weekend, I stayed on Fedora 10 because the closed
fglrx drivers were stable and functioning, and I didn't want to go
through the headache I've been going through since Saturday. I've been
keeping a fairly close eye on the list, and noticed that the name of the
driver changed from fglrx to Catalyst on RPM Fusion, and people seem to
be using it without difficulties. So, late Saturday night, I did a clean
install of Fedora 11, and got the Catalyst driver from RPM Fusion, and
ran into a brick wall.

Every time I try to boot with the Catalyst driver installed, all I get
after the animated bars based boot screens is a blank screen. I can't
switch to another tty or do anything other than reset via the hardware
reset button. I can ssh into the machine, but issuing a reboot command
doesn't reboot (I suspect that the system gets stuck trying to force
kill X), and init 3 doesn't change the video status (possibly for the
same reason). I've since removed the Catalyst driver, just to get some
work done, and I will post an Xorg.log when I'm feeling masochistic
enough to try again. I'm using an Asus edition ATI Radeon HD 4870 with
512 MB RAM, so I do believe that it should be supported by the Catalyst
driver.

In the mean time, does anyone have a clue what might be going on?

Thanks,
Raymond