Simple Network Question: Part 2

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Nov 5 21:44:53 UTC 2009

Dennis Mattingly wrote:
> I have (another) simple question involving my router.
>
> Is this a Linux Bug, or simply a Bad Router?
>
> 1) My internet is perfect (normal setup)
> 2) Plug my computer internet directly into ethernet router
> 3) $ ping 192.168.1.1
> network is unreachable
>
> So, is this my router, do I need to turn-off network manager, Linux bug,
> what next?

A lot depends on how you connect to the Internet. If you are
connected directly to the Modem, and have the computer set up to
connect using something like PPPoE, then you have to make a few
modifications when you add in a router between the computer and the
modem. The usual change is to set up the router to do the PPPoE for
you, and then change your computer to use DHCP and turn off the
PPPoE connection.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the network and default
gateway that the computer is set up to use man not give you a route
to the 192.168.1.0 network. For example, my DSL modem defaults to
192.168.0.1. If I were connected to the modem directly, my computer
would be set up to use the 192.168.0.0 network with the gateway
being 192.168.0.1. With the default setup, I would also have to
configure the computer to make the PPPoE connection. But I have the
DSL modem configured to do that, and I have the router configured to
use DHCP to get its WAN IP address.

So, without a lot more information about your setup, it is not
possible to answer your question.

Mikkel