Creating a local RPM repository

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Nov 6 17:25:35 UTC 2009

Ian Stakenvicius, Aerobiology Research on 11/06/2009 09:53 AM wrote:
> I am currently reviewing the possibility of allowing some of our
> employees to use Fedora on their machines instead of Windows.  On of my
> concerns is the bandwidth tied up by multiple machines downloading the
> same RPMs through our Internet gateway.  Is there a way to set up a
> local RPM repository on our internal networks so that the RPMs only have
> to be downloaded from the main repositories once.  All of our user
> machines would be configured to look at the local repository instead of
> the main one.

Yes. I do such a thing at my workplace. You will just set up a nightly
cron job (or however you want to do it) and rsync with a public repo.

You can either create your own RPM with your local /etc/yum.repo.d files
for fast installation or install them manually. Use the existing
fedora.repo and fedora-updates.repo files as templates and change them
to use a baseurl instead of a mirrorlist. You can use HTTP or FTP. I
used FTP.

P.S. I applaud you for allowing Fedora!