Why can't I ugrade Fedora like Centos?

Beartooth Beartooth at comcast.net
Sat Nov 7 20:03:18 UTC 2009

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 13:15:09 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> That's fine. All I was trying to establish is that asking the question
> isn't a function of yum as such, but of Package Kit, which uses yum to
> do the actual upgrade. I can't be bothered with PK so I just use
> preupgrade on my own (or download a DVD).

	There is an intermediate choice. You can disable the automatic
checking, put the launcher for gpk-update-viewer on a panel, and click
that at your convenience; I do, more or less daily.

	Then, when a new release has been out for a week or so, I use
preupgrade -- at *my* convenience, just like the updates.

	It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that gpk-update-viewer
also has an upgrade function; being comfortable with my compromise, I
haven't bothered to look.