shutdown problem -

Beartooth Beartooth at comcast.net
Sat Nov 7 20:09:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 12:38:44 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
	[....]
>     I updated the second computer and it displays the same problem. The
>     system stops at  "Stopping fail2ban" and I have no control after
>     that. About all it does it acknowledge "Control-Alt-Delete pressed!"
>     I can bring up another terminal and it asks me to loin but does not
>     accept keystrokes. I will have to remove fail2ban in order to
>     restore normal operation ...
>
>     Oh-ho, it finally appears to have recovered and is now presenting me
>     with a login screen. I logged in and entered "poweroff" and it is
>     stuck at "stopping fail2ban" again.
>
>     It stayed there six minutes and then shut down normally from that
>     point.

	I've gotten out of the habit of CLI shutdowns; instead, I click
the little power button icon on my panel, and choose either Shutdown or
Reboot. That works fine.

	Iirc, the last few times I tried Ctrl-Alt-Delete on any computer
(even one running XP), what it did was not shut down, but reboot. That's
one large reason I got out of the habit.