Why can't I launch qgis??

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 15:12:17 UTC 2009

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 21:36:54 +0000 (UTC), Beartooth wrote:

> 	I have
>
> [btth at Hbsk2 ~]$ rpm -q qgis
> qgis-1.0.2-1.fc11.i586
> [btth at Hbsk2 ~]$
>
> or equivalent on all four of the Fedora 11 PCs on my desk -- and none of
> them can seem to launch it. Not with the GUI (by clicking the launcher,
> which shows a Q transfixed by an arrow pointing NE), nor yet from the CLI
> (by commanding "qgis &" as user or as root).
>
> 	Any guesses why not?
>
> 	There is a little more detail at
>
> http://forum.qgis.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4969
>
> but no answer there, either.

The most interesting detail you have posted there only:

| [btth at Hbsk2 sig]$ ps ax|grep 11213
| 11224 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep 11213
| [1]+ Segmentation fault qgis

The program crashes early. Can you get a detailed backtrace in gdb?
Kind of following http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces
As root user run "debuginfo-install qgis" to install any missing
-debuginfo packages. Then as normal user run "gdb qgis", at the gdb prompt
enter "run" and after it crashes enter "thread apply all bt".