disaster recovery Q's

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Wed Nov 11 22:58:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:35:24 -0500
Gene Heskett wrote:

> How do I go about doing a grub-install in a manner that when I take out the
> dying drive and move the new drive to SATA0, it will reboot from this new
> drive?

I have replaced a totally dead drive a couple of times, and managed to
boot from a live CD after replacing the drive and then do the
grub install from the live CD, after which I could boot the
real hard disk.

> And, if I rsync each directory tree to the new drive, will that move the UUID
> and/or labels too?

Everyone seems to think UUID= is infinitely better to use than LABEL=,
but specifically because I can control the LABEL but have no control
over the UUID, I always change the fstab and wot-not to use LABEL=
after giving my partitions meaningful labels with e2label.

If you want to stick with UUID, the Live CD comes in handy there
as well, once booted in live CD you can run blkid, find out what
the UUIDs are in the new disk, and edit the fstab and grub.conf files
to use the new UUIDs.