disaster recovery Q's

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 19:03:13 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley responded
> Everyone seems to think UUID= is infinitely better to use than LABEL=,
> but specifically because I can control the LABEL but have no control
> over the UUID, I always change the fstab and wot-not to use LABEL=
> after giving my partitions meaningful labels with e2label.

I have been converted to using UUIDs also,
but I have often wondered if it would be
easy/worthwhile to convert back to using labels.
In my experience, the UUID for the rootfs
is also hidden away in the init file in the initrd.img.
If one tries to convert from UUID to labels, doesn't
the init file have to be changed also?
(That requires unpacking, editing the init, repacking.)
Or is it OK to leave UUID in that init file, but labels elsewhere?

Jack