disaster recovery Q's

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Nov 13 02:29:44 UTC 2009

On Thursday 12 November 2009, jackson byers wrote:
>Tom Horsley responded
>
>> Everyone seems to think UUID= is infinitely better to use than LABEL=,
>> but specifically because I can control the LABEL but have no control
>> over the UUID, I always change the fstab and wot-not to use LABEL=
>> after giving my partitions meaningful labels with e2label.
>
>I have been converted to using UUIDs also,
>but I have often wondered if it would be
>easy/worthwhile to convert back to using labels.
>In my experience, the UUID for the rootfs
>is also hidden away in the init file in the initrd.img.
>If one tries to convert from UUID to labels, doesn't
>the init file have to be changed also?
>(That requires unpacking, editing the init, repacking.)
>Or is it OK to leave UUID in that init file, but labels elsewhere?
>
>Jack

I just did that conversion today, IIRC for the 2nd time in 3 or 4 years, and
did not have to rebuild anything other than making sure all the I's were
dotted and the T's crossed in both /etc/fstab and in /boot/grub/grub.conf.
No vmlinuz or initrd rebuild was required. But since I was moving the drive,
I did have to grub-install /dev/sda twice before it worked.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The linuX Files -- The Source is Out There.
	-- Sent in by Craig S. Bell, goat at aracnet.com