new install, Firewall, anti-virus?

Athmane Madjoudj athmanem at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 10:04:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 8:47 AM, James Harrison
<jamesaharrisonuk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Well done for trashing Windows 7 and replacing it with F11. You are
> moving in the right direction.
>
> Haven't seen a Linux virus yet.
>
> James
>

> On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 00:15 +0000, Jim Douglas wrote:
>> I just trashed Windows 7 and installed FC11 but before I connect to
>> the internet how best could I protect the machine?
>>
>> Is the firewall up and running by default effective? It's a home
>> machine but I plan on adding a web server.
>>
>> What is the best anti-virus?
>>
>> (Bye, bye windows!)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim

Well done, you are now free.

Linux kernel already has a firewall (netfilter), and in fedora there
is easy to use GUI called system-config-firewall (System >
Administration > Firewall)

Linux virus are very rare and no efficient until you are *root*, there
is a very powerful Free / Open Source anti-virus called ClamAV used to
scan you PC from Windows virus/trojan/worm and very rare Linux ones...

Personaly, i use ClamAV to scan web servers, mail servers, SMB servers
from windows virus and very rare PHP shells (backdoors)

Best regards.

--
Athmane Madjoudj