nuxeo ECM, and where is Context.compressReader() in openJDK?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Nov 13 12:42:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009, Andrew Haley wrote:

> I think it was a nonstandard extension to Rhino to read compressed
> javascript.

  so sun's java is using that non-standard extension while openjdk
isn't?  so what's the story in terms of adherence to formal java
standards?  i'm not a java guru, but this tells me that openjdk
adheres to the "standard" (whatever that is) more strictly than sun.
is that the conclusion i should be drawing here?

> >   someone from nuxeo just pointed out that they don't guarantee a
> > successful build under openJDK, only under *sun's* java.  so does
> > that mean sun's java *would* have that class method?  or am i
> > misinterpreting this?  just for the entertainment value, it would
> > be nice to finish that build with openJDK.  does anyone here know
> > what the story is for Context.compressReader()?  am i reading
> > correctly that it simply doesn't exist in openJDK?
>
> Yes.  All you need to do is replace the call to
> Context.compressReader() with a dynamic lookup.  There's an example
> at
>
> http://fisheye5.cenqua.com/browse/dwr/java/org/directwebremoting/impl/ShrinkSafeCompressor.java?r1=1.1&r2=1.2&u=-1&ignore=&k=o
>
> which shows exactly how to use Context.class.getMethod("compressReader",
> and
>
> compressReaderMethod.invoke

  yes, i'd already found that page and realized what was happening
there.  all i really want to confirm is that the code above that's
failing is failing because it's badly-behaved and calling a
non-standard extension that will cause it to break under openjdk.

rday