Creating a local RPM repository

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Nov 13 14:27:28 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>>> Thanks for the response.
>>> I'm away from home at the moment, so can't try what you suggest.
>>> But I don't understand one point:
>>> Isn't /var/cache/yum/updates/packages/ normally cleared after "yum
>>> update"?
>>>
>> See the original post, which noted that /etc/yum.conf needs keepcache set
>> to 1.
>
> Ok, thanks, I missed that.
> Must have fallen into the sea somewhere between Ireland and Italy.
>
> I suppose you just have to clear the cache every now and then?
> How do you do that, as a matter of interest?

You want to use the repomanage package, it can list or remove old packages, just
keeping the most recent version (or several). No man page, but the --help option
gives all you need.

Avoid the "clean" stuff in yum, it doesn't do what you need, and may delete all
the stuff you want to keep, rather than just the old stuff. If you want to be
able to roll back you can get a list of just the old stuff and archive it.

Works really well for me. Good luck!

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>