How to prevent horizontal scrolling from switching apps and desktops

Wendell Nichols wcn00 at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 13 14:38:46 UTC 2009

I use fedora on a thinkpad with a synaptics touch pad mouse.  I find it
to be very good except for one thing; an accidental gesture across the
mousepad will cause the desktop so switch between applicaitons on the
current desktop, or, depending where the mouse is, to scroll across
desktops.  This results in a flurry of motion on the screen and then
leaves me to find which of the 8 desktops I was on, an then which of the
8 or 10 apps per desktop I was using.  ya I have a busy system which is
why I use linux!
Is there any way to disable this behavior?  I've installed the touchpad
tool and it did not help do disable horizontal scrolling.
your ideas will be welcome :)
wendell nichols