Recent kernels don't play well with suspend-to-disk

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Sat Nov 14 00:48:13 UTC 2009

Kernels since kernel-PAE-2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686 up to and incuding
kernel-PAE-2.6.30.9-96.fc11.i686 seem to have a problem with suspend-
to-disk.

Why do I say this? Two behaviors. First, up until the most recent
kernel, I get non-fatal kernel errors that resulted in a spew of error
messages to each active terminal window, sometimes accompanied by a
notice that kerneloops has sent off a report. This, of course, after
one or more resume-from-disk. Reboot cures the problem temporarliy. The
most recent kernel failed toresume-from-disk in the boot process,
freezing up with a bunch of page fault errors. (Yes, I know I shoud
have copied/saved all of this). The only variable here appears to be
the kernel rebooting with 2.6.30.5-43 makes the problem vanish.

Obviosuly there's not enough here to debug the problem. The fact that
its not going away suggests that the kerneloops reports are
insufficient.

So, (a) anyone else having the problem? (b) suggestions for gathering
enough data to make a Bugzilla report worthwhile?

ASUS Z84F w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T5500, 1666 MHz, INTEL 945GM chipset,
AET760SD00-30DA98Z 2x1 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM, Seagate Momentus 7200.1
series ST910021A