man 3 switch

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sat Nov 14 17:43:53 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> said:
> I expected to see a write-up on the C switch statement.  Similar to what I see
> with "man 3 strlen" and the like.
>
> Your statement indicates that keywords are not included in "man 3", so
> apparently that's why it's not there.
>
> It seems an odd choice to make, to cover the standard library and not the
> keywords.

Functions in libraries are documented, not language syntax itself.  I
suppose somebody could write a man page for cc that documents syntax,
but I've never seen a Unix that does that for C.

Would you expect to see individual man pages for "if", "?:", "void",
etc.?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>