Saving Flash

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Nov 17 03:15:25 UTC 2009

Marcel Rieux wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>

>> That said, I gave you a start for saving those movie clips.
>>

> You mean this?
>
> ./rtmpdump_x86 -r
> "rtmp://203.77.184.132/a1863/o6/tp-live/PBS_CP_General_Audience/cosby-full-revised-CHN.mp4"
> -o outfile.mp4

Sorry....  That wasn't the movie clip.  That was the PBS video you
referenced in:

http://video.pbs.org/video/1082087546/

> The problem is that, here, you have the whole path and the name of the
> file to stream, which you don't have in the case of the CBC, BBC, PBS,
> etc.

As I said, it isn't easy or simple.....

In order to learn
"tp-live/PBS_CP_General_Audience/cosby-full-revised-CHN.mp4"  you have
to use tcpdump or wireshark to capture the IP packets and then look at
them to find the information.  The a1863/o6 string is also part of the
RTMP protocol that you need to determine.  That info is also in the IP
packets but seems to be the same for all PBS videos.

So, that is what you need to do for PBS.

For BBC, you should investigate get_iplayer or iplayer.

For CBC, you need to do your own research.

The bottom line is what I said earlier.  Each media provider uses their
own version of middle ware.  So, for each media provider you need to dig
in and figure it out.  I've done that for you for PBS and BBC with the
help of google as well as my own understanding of IP packet capture.

--
Paul's Law: You can't fall off the floor. Guess Who!
http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7