Alpine paragraph justification failing

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Nov 17 07:13:57 UTC 2009

| From: Beartooth <Beartooth at comcast.net>
|
| 	Many times, when I hit ^J amid text in compose mode, it merely
| makes a mess; and trying to mitigate that only keeps making it worse.
|
| 	This is with Alpine 2.0 under Fedora 11; I haven't yet managed to
| spot a pattern in when it happens.

There is a slight chance that this is due to the screen not matching
what the buffer contains.

Here's how you might be able to tell:

- type control-Z to suspend (assuming your settings allow you to do
  this)

- type the shell command "clear" to clear the screen

- type the shell command "fg" to get back to alpine

Is the text still a mess?  The same mess?  If so, the buffer and the
screen do match.

If not, you might have a curses problem (curses is the library that
handles "full screen" manipulations of text-based terminals).