spoof rsa fingerprint

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Nov 17 08:55:23 UTC 2009

> Did you read the URL I posted? It's a tutorial with very explicit
> information. If you understand how public-key crypto works, you'll
> realize that spoofing the fingerprint doesn't help the attacker.

In the scenario that the OP hypothesized, yes, spoofing the fingerprint
would help the attacker.  A user who attempted to ssh to the router
would not be warned that the host had changed and would submit their
password to a rogue host.

In answer to the original question, though, spoofing the fingerprint
would be extraordinarily difficult.