upgrading i686 F11 -> x86-64 F12

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Nov 17 20:31:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:58:22 -0800,
  Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:

> Something like this on the command line:
>
> $ rpm -qa | cut -d"." -f1 | cut -d"-" -f1
>
> could be piped to a file. Is there a way of feeding it back in again? I
> don't see anything obvious on the man page under the install options.

I usually just cat the file on the yum command line. Even a few thousand
packages can be specified this way. Something like:
yum install -y `cat file_with_package_list`

You'll still need to do some checking after getting most upgraded, to handle
stuff that was dropped or obsoleted and make sure you got everything you
want.