upgrading i686 F11 -> x86-64 F12

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Nov 17 20:42:13 UTC 2009

On 11/17/2009 02:58 PM, Colin Brace wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am currently running 32-bit F11 on a 64-bit system. With this upgrade I'd
> like to upgrade to 64-bit F12. I am assuming the best if not only way to do
> this is by a fresh install. To expedite things, I was wondering if there was
> a way of exporting from rpm a list of the current installed packages, then
> reinstalling them from that list in the new system. I once read somewhere
> instructions how to do that with apt.
>
> Something like this on the command line:
>
> $ rpm -qa | cut -d"." -f1 | cut -d"-" -f1
>
> could be piped to a file. Is there a way of feeding it back in again? I
> don't see anything obvious on the man page under the install options.

Have you tried using a x86_64 install DVD and going the "upgrade" route
with it (rather than the "install" route)?

I essentially did this from F6.i686 to F9.x86_64.  I had lots to clean
up when I was done, but it essentially worked.  You might have to change
the following file by hand first:

	/etc/rpm/platform

so that it contains the one line:

x86_64-redhat-linix

You might also want to change to this line in /etc/yum.conf

exactarch=0

If you do that, I think that you could then use "yum upgrade" to do the
upgrade and it would switch package architectures for you.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net