Urgent Help Needed for Boot Problems After Data Restoration

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) space.time.universe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 18:33:43 UTC 2009

Hi All,

After restoring data from a backup image set for a 500GB harddisk to a
1000 GB harddisk, I am unable to boot up my F11 OS. I have already
restored *both* the MBR backup and the dump output from sfdisk.

What else is missing? I am stuck at a blinking cursor at the top left
corner of the screen. GRUB is not loading and I am unable to select
any kernel to boot.

Using System Rescue CD, I am able to activate all the logical volumes
and all the volume groups that were restored. I am also able to mount
all the logical volumes and access the restored filesystems.

So I think the filesystems are restored properly. So I think it is the
problem with MBR, sfdisk dump output restoration, or GRUB. Is there a
problem with restoring data of a 500 GB harddisk to a 1 TB harddisk?

Thank you.

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)
Email: space.time.universe at gmail.com
Mobile Phone (Starhub Prepaid): +65-8369-2618
Street: Bedok Reservoir Road
Country: Singapore