Urgent Help Needed for Boot Problems After Data Restoration

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Nov 18 18:59:00 UTC 2009

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After restoring data from a backup image set for a 500GB harddisk to a
> 1000 GB harddisk, I am unable to boot up my F11 OS. I have already
> restored *both* the MBR backup and the dump output from sfdisk.
>
> What else is missing? I am stuck at a blinking cursor at the top left
> corner of the screen. GRUB is not loading and I am unable to select
> any kernel to boot.
>
> Using System Rescue CD, I am able to activate all the logical volumes
> and all the volume groups that were restored. I am also able to mount
> all the logical volumes and access the restored filesystems.
>
> So I think the filesystems are restored properly. So I think it is the
> problem with MBR, sfdisk dump output restoration, or GRUB. Is there a
> problem with restoring data of a 500 GB harddisk to a 1 TB harddisk?
>
> Thank you.

You will need to re-install Grub. Because Grub uses the BIOS to
access the drive, and because the first stage loader is rather dumb,
(Not enough space for a smart loader) it needs to know the physical
location of stage 1.5. The procedure for re-installing Grub is well
covered, so I will not post it again.

Mikkel