man 3 switch

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Nov 19 02:25:37 UTC 2009

On 16Nov2009 10:54, Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:
| Another example is that a null pointer (or the value "NUL") is not
| necessarily zero, only that it is guaranteed to not point at any valid
| datum.

Actually, it requires it to behave like 0 in an arithmetic context.
But it _doesn't_ require it to be stored as a zero in the machine
memory. That's why I cringe whenever I see someone use calloc() or
memset() and expect the contents to be valid zeroes of whatever type or
valid NULL pointers.

Anyway, Frank should get a copy of Kernighan and Richie or a copy of the
C89 or C99 ISO standards. The first two are very readable and I'm sure
the last is too.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I am perfectly capable of cooking myself.       - snail at lsl.co.uk