disabling automount in Fedora 12

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 02:41:47 UTC 2009

With each successive release of Fedora, it gets more difficult to disable
automounting of disk drives.  The manual page for DeviceKit is one of the
least helpful ever.  What do I need to put in a config file or rip out of
the system to keep it from automounting?

I don't particularly need fine-grained control over who and what gets
automounting.  I just want it disabled, period.  I routinely have to plug in
questionable devices for diagnostic purposes, and I don't want any attempt
made to do anything to the filesystems on these devices until I say so.

Thanks,
Eric