Silent mounting of disks? Unwanted.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 19 13:16:01 UTC 2009

On Thursday 19 November 2009, Andy Campbell wrote:
>>>One workaround I found is to explicitly include the filesystem in /etc/
>>>fstab.  But add the option noauto this stops it getting mount e.g.
>>>
>>>  ... ext3    noauto,defaults 0 0 ...
>>>
>>>Andy
>>
>> That may be a way to stop it, but it has never happened before, and I
>> would rather find out what did do it.
>>
>> Thanks Andy.
>
>Are you sure you didn't get one of those pop up windows asking you
>to type in the root password to Authorize something, and did read
>it properly ?
>
>I you un-mount the filesystems/reboot and log in as another user are they
>remounted ?

I haven't rebooted, and probably won't till 2.6.32-rc8 comes out.  The reboot
to -rc7 predates this by about 3 days.

>Stuff on /media is usually mount by gnome-mount I believe
>same if you inserted a CD in the DVD drive or plugged in a flash drive
>in your USB port.

As a kde user, I didn't even know it was installed.  A perusal of the man
page says I should ask it for its settings like this:
=====================
[root at coyote /]# gnome-mount --display-settings --device /dev/sdd
Displaying settings for drive (affects all volumes, unless overridden)
hal udi:
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_serial_SATA_ST31000340AS_9QJ0WMTT
There are no settings; you can use --write-settings

With a reply like that, I would not suspect it of any wrong doing unless
specifically commanded to  do so.  No entries were found in the logs either.

Thanks Andy.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The easiest way to figure the cost of living is to take your income and
add ten percent.