Fedora 12 upgrade sucks

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 19 22:09:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 22:01 +0000, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> I tried to upgrade my laptop from Fedora 11 to 12 today, using yumex.
> The result sucks.
>
> The latest kernel cannot run a GUI
>
> The only video driver that appears to work is vesa, (should use either
> nv or nouveau for nvidia graphics), and therefore not at required
> resolution, or openGL applications.

Do you have the proprietary Nvidia driver installed? If you do, remove
it.

I've upgraded 4 computers from F-11 to F-12 using "yum update" in a
screen or a virtual console. Two of them are Nvidia based. I remember
having some problems with the proprietary nvidia driver, but I think
that was just because there isn't a F12 version in RPMFusion, yet.
Removing the xorg-x11-drv-nvidia package fixed the problem.

(clip)

> I managed to upgrade my PC from Fedora 10 to Fedora 11 using yumex
> successfully, hence my disappointment!

*DON'T* upgrade with a GUI, since X often hangs during distribution
upgrades. See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq#4._Do_the_upgrade
--
Jussi Lehtola