gnome-shell a go-go

Brian Millett bmillett at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 23:12:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 09:22 -0600, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 11/20/2009 08:19 AM, Brian Millett wrote:
> > I have been using compiz for quite a while.  Love the eye candy, but it
> > also helped me navigate quicker between desktops and windows.  Loved it.
> >
> > I've been using the gnome-shell.  At first it was "So where are my
> > preferences?  Where is my <insert menu item here>?", but as I started to
> > understand how to use it, I've wondered how I can live without it.
> >
> > It is great.
> >
> > Good job guys and gals!
> >

> Brian:
>
> Can you explain briefly how to switch from the standard Gnome desktop to
> the new Gnome shell (and maybe how to get back)?
>
> --
>
>   Steve

Steve see http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell
and from the release notes:

4.1.4.8. GNOME Shell — preview of GNOME 3
A very early version of GNOME Shell is now available in the repository.
GNOME Shell is a key part of GNOME 3 and is in active development with
the heavy involvement of Fedora developers and interaction designers. A
simple way to try out GNOME Shell is to install the desktop-effects
package:

yum install desktop-effects gnome-shell

Then, click System → Preferences → Desktop Effects

If you would like to configure it manually, run

mkdir ~/.config/autostart
ln -s /usr/share/applications/gnome-shell.desktop ~/.config/autostart

You can also run the following to invoke it directly.
gnome-shell --replace &

--
Brian Millett - [ Businessman and Lyta Alexander, "The Gathering"]
"Someday I'm going to find the guy that thought up the idea of renting