gnome-shell a go-go

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Fri Nov 20 23:27:21 UTC 2009

2009/11/20 Brian Millett <bmillett at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 09:22 -0600, Steven Stern wrote:
>> On 11/20/2009 08:19 AM, Brian Millett wrote:
>> > I have been using compiz for quite a while.  Love the eye candy, but it
>> > also helped me navigate quicker between desktops and windows.  Loved it.
>> >
>> > I've been using the gnome-shell.  At first it was "So where are my
>> > preferences?  Where is my <insert menu item here>?", but as I started to
>> > understand how to use it, I've wondered how I can live without it.
>> >
>> > It is great.
>> >
>> > Good job guys and gals!

I have to give this my +1

Gnome Shell is a completely different way of doing things, but as
someone who is used to Compiz and the Expo plugin, I think it rocks. I
converted my regular laptop to it a couple of weeks ago when I moved
to rawhide in preparation for F12.

Today I took delivery of a funky little Samsung NC10 netbook and the
first thing I did was convert it to Gnome Shell. (I assume this isn't
an option in Anaconda because it's a tech preview - I searched for the
ability to select it for quite a while.)

In summary - if you use Workspaces and you are a Gnome User, you
should definitely take a peek at gnome-shell - I don't think I will
ever go back.

--
Sam