Fedora 12 upgrade sucks

N James Bridge james at xmas.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 21 00:31:00 UTC 2009

> For Intel, no proprietary necessary. For ATI, try installing
> mesa-dri-drivers-experimental.  For Nvidia, the driver is available in
> the RPM Fusion testing repo.
>
> Rahul

On the strength of this, I installed the nvidia 173 driver (right for my
card). Result: nice blue intro, then blackness, followed by despair. I
then tried booting into level 3 and uninstalled the nvidia drivers. More
blackness. At this stage, not being that clever with the cli approach, I
gave up and reinstalled the whole thing.

I thought that if the nvidia driver wasn't correct, or wasn't there, the
nouveau one would be used. This has happened before when kernel upgrades
get ahead of the driver. So presumably some vital setting got corrupted?
What _should_ I have done to correct it?

--
N James Bridge <james at xmas.demon.co.uk>