Saving Flash

Howard Eisenberger howarde at gmx.net
Sat Nov 21 14:06:09 UTC 2009

On 2009-11-21, Marcel Rieux wrote:

>> The new CBC video player. The only way I can get it to work is to
>> run the browser and Flash under wine.
>
> The browser...? You mean firefox? I suppose you have to install the
> Windows version?

Yes. I used wine to run the Firefox 3.5 and Adobe Flash plugin win32
setup programs. It was much easier than I anticipated.

> How does wine perform generally speaking?

I've only used it a few times, specifically for the problem we are
discussing, but Firefox (and Opera) seems to run more or less the
same as the Linux version.

It seems there are many other programs that are difficult to install
or don't even work at all.

> Does it make Linux as vulnerable to attacks as Windows is?

I'm not sure, but I assume any executables have to be executed with
wine.

As I said,
>> Far from ideal,

Howard E.