Panel weather icon configuration

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Nov 21 22:19:29 UTC 2009

Aaron Konstam writes:

> On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 16:35 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> In F12 I like the new weather icon in the panel. One thing though -- if I
>> try to set my location in the properties tab, the dialog says that after
>> typing in a freeform location, I should be getting a pop-up with matching
>> names. I'm not getting any pop-ups, I suspect that whatever I type in, for
>> my location, gets ignored.
>>
>> Is my understanding correct, if so I'll file this in Bugzilla. I've upgraded
>> this machine from F10 to F12, and applied all the current updates.
> There are two ways to set the location. Type in the name , hit find/next
> and if it is found then hit close. II just did that and it worked.
> The other way is hit North America, then the next level of place, etc,
> until you get a list containing your place.
>
> Which way did you try to use?

Actually, I figured it out -- I thought that this icon was pulling the
weather data from weather.com, which runs off a fairly large database that
lists every city name, including mine's. I wasn't getting any response from
this applet after typing in my city's name. But after entering "new jersey"
instead, I got a pop up with a bunch of city name in NJ, to pick from.