Fedora-12 from USB stick

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Nov 21 23:33:37 UTC 2009

I installed the Fedora-12 KDE Live CD on a USB memory stick:
tim at rose Download]$ sudo livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr Fedora-12-i686-Live-
KDE.iso /dev/sdb2
The media check is complete, the result is: PASS.

It is OK to use this media.
Copying live image to USB stick
USB stick set up as live image!
I then ran this on my Thinkpad T43, and clicked to Transfer to Hard Disk.
This has worked more or less perfectly, to date.

One slight problem is that I installed Fedora-12 / on /dev/sda7 ,
leaving Fedora-11 / on /dev/sda3
(with /boot on /dev/sda2 and /home on /dev/sda5).

However, I find that when I add my old grub.conf entries for Fedora-11
to my new grub.conf , I am unable to boot Fedora-11 .
(I'm also unable to boot it if I run grub interactively.)
The error I get is:
fsck.ext4: unable to resolve UUID=66c3...699e .

I cannot work out what this UUID represents.
It does not appear to be the old or the new / partition.
I thought it might be the memory stick,
but replacing this did not help.

How can one find what a UUID represents?
Or conversely, how can one find the UUID of a partition?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net