Fedora-12 from USB stick

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Nov 22 15:17:53 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> However, I find that when I add my old grub.conf entries for Fedora-11
> to my new grub.conf , I am unable to boot Fedora-11 .
> (I'm also unable to boot it if I run grub interactively.)
> The error I get is:
> fsck.ext4: unable to resolve UUID=66c3...699e .
>
> I cannot work out what this UUID represents.
> It does not appear to be the old or the new / partition.
> I thought it might be the memory stick,
> but replacing this did not help.

To reply to myself, I found that the mystery UUID
actually refers to the partition which is the new / .
So installing Fedora-12 on this partition
changes its UUID, which I find slightly surprising -
I thought the whole point of these UUIDs
was that they never changed.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net