Does f12 bind take a long time getting up to speed?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Mon Nov 23 12:55:23 UTC 2009

I don't normally reboot my system much, but with the f12 install
reboots have been more frequent as I tweaked all the settings
and rebooted to make sure things work OK.

I have bind setup to provide DNS for my local network and cache
results by using my ISP DNS servers as forwarders.

I notice that ntpdate (the first service that does a DNS lookup
after named starts) takes a long time, and sometimes fails with
"temporary failure of name resolution".

If I disable ntpdate, the next service in the list to do
a DNS lookup (stunnel in this case) sometimes fails the
same way.

I see no errors in the logs about any problems bind is
having, and I have no problems doing lookups after that
first one.

Does this sound normal? Anyone know what is going on?
I don't remember seeing the ntpdate failures before f12
(though it has always been the slowest part of the
boot sequence).