Multi-boot: Making windows partitions bootable?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Mon Nov 23 19:55:16 UTC 2009

On 09-11-23 12:35:00, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> I know this is a Fedora site and I am a diehard Fedora user,
> but I also have a multiboot system...  apologies to the purists.
>
> Is it possible to backup and restore Xp/Vista to a different
> drive/partition in the case of imminent drive failure?  How is this
> to be properly done?
>
> I tried to use rsync from the original to a different partition
> but this does not seem to work.
>
> Help please?

There are various -ghost apps, but I've just used dd to a new drive,
copying the entire drive to a drive as large or larger.  If it is
larger, I just extend the last partition to the rest of the drive.
IIRC, I usually haven't had to do anything else, but it might be
necessary to do a "Repair Install", at least with XP (I haven't used
anything more recent).  A Repair Install is tedious but hasn't done any
harm when I've used it.