HP DL360 G6 ILLEGAL OPCODE

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Tue Nov 24 20:02:26 UTC 2009

Andrew Hall wrote:
> Just installed Fedora 12 on an HP DL360 G6 which went on fine.
>
> But as soon as I attempt to boot the OS - at the point GRUB stage 1
> should load - I get a red screen with an illegal opcode.
>
> Try to install again - all fine.
>
> Reboot again - illegal opcode.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this with HP hardware ?

Something similar on a ProLiant DL320 G5p on Fedora 9.

GRUB instantly reboots the machine instead of booting.

I tried a lot of things, but I have never got the machine booting
from the disks. I made a bootable iso on a rewriteable disc
and left the CDROM always in (this is a server).

Something is wrong at the BIOS/GRUB level, because the machine
is perfectly stable after the boot.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it